Lesson 1: A Vocabulary of the Christian Faith
- Altar– A place for sacrifice and dedication.
- Amen– I agree; I am with you; me too; that’s right.
- Apostles– The Fathers and builders of the early church.
- Baptism– The outward sign of inward Grace. A public declaration of the Christian faith
- Bible– A collection of some of the words and works of God
- Blessed – Happy
- Christian– One who represents Christ.
- Church– The people of God: a redemptive fellowship in Christ.
- Decalogue– The Ten Commandments OF Yaweh
- Devil– The deciever: the evil one.
- Disciple– A follower of Christ.
- Doxology– Giving praise to God.
- Doctrine or Dogma– A set of opinions or beliefs.
- Exodus– To go out: a way out.
- Faith– Hope in action.
- Gospel– The good news.
- Grace– Getting favour from God that we do not deserve.
- Heaven– God’s Throne room and eternal home of the faithful
- Hell– The eternal home of the un-faithful.
- Holy Communion– Becoming of one with Christ by sharing in his body and blood.
- Hymns– Lyrical expressions of one’s belief in Christ put into song.
- Invocation– Inviting the Spirit to be present.
- Love– The act of giving of one’s self un-conditionally.
- Laity or Laos– The people of God.
- Marriage– The act of a man and a woman becoming one in Christ.
- Mercy– A forgiveness we receive from God we don’t deserve.
- Messiah– The ‘anointed one‘ of God
- Minister– Servant of God.
- Missionary– One who goes out into the world and establishes the work of God.
- Patriarchs– Fathers of the faith-Abraham. Isaac, Jacob.
- Parables– A story told to illustrate or explain a truth.
- Pentecost – Fifty
- Prayer– A conversation with God.
- Preaching– The act of proclaiming the word of God.
- Priest– One who represents the people before God.
- Prophet– One who God speaks through.
- Redemption– The act of buying back; to make right again.
- Resurrection– Coming back to life from the dead.
- Saint– A faithful follower of Christ.
- Salvation– The act of being with God.
- Steward– a manager of another’s property
- Temptation– The battle with oneself.
- Trinity– Three
- Testament– A covenant, agreement, or deal that God makes with us.
- Text– Writing
Lesson 2: A brief History of the A.M.E. Church
Lesson 3: The A.M.E. Church Catechism
Lesson 4: The Apostle's Creed
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord;
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;
the third day he rose from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the church universal,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.